How to Countersign Documents
Countersigning is the act of signing a document after other parties have completed signing. In the context of a Fund, the GP countersigns investors’ subscription documents once investors have completed signing.
You can countersign documents through Flow using our “Trigger Countersigning” feature.
Please note: you can only countersign documents that have been mapped in the Flow platform. If you are unsure whether your documents have been mapped for countersigning, please reach out to Flow Support at email@example.com and a team member can provide this information.
To countersign investor documents, please follow the steps below:
1. Select the investors whose documents you would like to countersign and click “Trigger Countersigning”.
You can also trigger countersigning for a single investor by clicking on the ellipsis menu to the far right of the investor’s name and selecting “Trigger Countersigning” from the dropdown menu.
2. From the pop-up modal, select the team member(s) who will be countersigning the investors’ documents from the dropdown list and then click “Trigger Countersigning”. If you need to add a new team member to this list of potential signatories, you can do so by adding a new member to the Fund or your organization.
3. The selected countersigner will receive an email notification with an abbreviated list of the investors whose documents are ready to countersign.
4. Clicking the link in the email will direct the countersigner to the Summary page of their deal dashboard, where they can click on the “Counter Sign” task for each investor to complete signing.
Note: only documents that have already been signed by investors will be available for immediate countersignature. If you trigger countersigning for an investor who has not yet completed signing, you will see a notification in the pop-up modal alerting you that not all investors have completed signing (as shown below). Once the investor completes signing, you will receive an email notification with a link to complete countersigning.
5. When countersigning has been triggered for an investor, on the dashboard, a greyed out double-pen icon will appear in the “Status” column for that investor. Hovering over the icon will show a status of “Pending Countersigning”.
6. Once countersigning is complete for a particular investor, the investor will receive an email notification letting them know that their documents have been countersigned.
7. On the dashboard, the double-pen icon will turn green to indicate that countersigning has been completed for that investor. Hovering over the icon will show a status of “Documents Countersigned”.
8. If you need to change countersigners after countersigning has already been triggered, you can do so using the same steps used to trigger countersigning. In the pop up modal, you will see a notification letting you know that countersigners have already been selected for one or more of the selected investors. To reassign the countersigner, simply select the desired signatory from the dropdown list, then click “Trigger Countersigning”.
9. To see who is currently selected as countersigner for an individual investor, click on the “Tasks” tab of the investor’s Details Slideout, then expand the “Sign Subscription Agreement” task. If countersigning has already been triggered for that investor, you will see the selected countersigner’s name under the General Partner section of the signer list.
If countersigning has not yet been triggered for that investor, you will see “No Countersigner has been assigned” under the General Partner section of the signer list.
From the signer list, you can also see who has or has not completed signing. This is particularly useful when an investor or the General Partner has more than one signatory.
Once an individual has signed, you will see a green checkmark next to that individual’s name.
The individual who currently needs to sign appears bolded with a circle next to his or her name.
Subsequent signers who will need to complete signing after the current active signer appear greyed out with a circle next to their name.